La Petite Oye Update

Posted by Unknown

When I started my Etsy shop last March, I wanted to make la petite oye: all of the white cotton or linen accompaniments for respectable dress in the eighteenth and nineteenth century. I first started with sleeve ruffles - simple things, and not easy to find - and then I added two Regency chemisette options and then Victorian collars. Since I've been pretty well constantly employed since that point (hurrah!), I haven't had the oomph to continue making items to sell and have mainly switched over to a commission-based system. Which also works better for me, since I have no home of my own and very little storage space to keep finished objects. Although I did recently finish a striped petticoat.


Along the way I seem to have become more of an antiquarian bookseller somehow, but now that my life is becoming more orderly for the moment, I'm attempting to freshen up my shop and introduce some new products. Although it will probably be some time, since I need to draw up the patterns and then make the prototypes for the pictures, I'm planning to add (sometime this year):

- aprons, both sheer cotton ones with ruffles and more solid linen ones
- ruched sabot cuffs/ruffles to add to gowns
- wrist ruffles for long sleeves - on flat bands rather than round ones
- triangular kerchiefs, some shaped for the neck so you don't get those annoying wrinkles
- possibly kerchiefs with ruffles at the neck, fichus en chemise
- bodiced Regency petticoats
- mantelets
- mitts
- some new styles of chemisettes/frills, such as a collarless or with a pinked or scalloped frill
- Civil War-era non-puffy undersleeves

And I need to adjust my chemisette and frill patterns so that they hug the neck a little bit more. Is there something you can think of that I'm overlooking, or something I've thought of that you think should be prioritized? Shifts are ... under consideration.