Galerie des Modes: The End

Posted by Unknown

I promise you, I never planned for it to work out that way, but the plate for December 31, 2013 was the last of Volume Four of Galerie des Modes, and therefore the end of the project that has kept me updating almost every single weekday since September 2012. Those who've been here since then, you've seen every single plate published in that magazine!

So - what is planned next?

I like doing this too much to stop. Translation is a fun exercise, and there's so much to be learned from these primary sources. While I was on a roll downloading Galerie des Modes, I also saved the Cabinet des Modes and the Journal de la Mode et du Gout, and I've been working on the former even before I finished with Galerie des Modes. While I'm going to put posting on hold for a week or two, have no fear that you'll be out of French fashion plates for the next six months, at least. (And the best part is that once again the text will match up with the pictures!)

After that, I have no concrete plans. I was thinking I would like to translate some nineteenth century fashion text, but Bunka Gakuen's late-Victorian La Mode IllustrĂ©e is probably too many images for me to host and also appears to be largely unrelated to fashion. I'd appreciate any leads for the future, if you have them!