A Little Advice?

Posted by Unknown

Today I got the Joann's package I've been waiting for - fabric for a 1920s dress.  On the plus side: nothing ended up being a huge mistake, too heavy or too light, a bad color or weird texture.  Here's the indigo blue twill cotton with a nice little geometric print that I intended for the dress:


And here's the soft rayon with an identical print (which I didn't actually realize was exactly the same - also, I thought it was paler) that was intended for an envelope chemise:


The problem: I like them both for dress fabric.  Obviously I'd have to check to make sure there's enough fabric in the rayon, but with the heat right now I'm leaning toward lightness.  At the same time, the weight of the twill means it will work better without a lining and, perhaps, hang better on my body.

Or.  If you remember my previous post on the subject - what if I were to use the twill for most of the dress, with the rayon (lined or backed, maybe just doubled) as the center front panel, the sash, sleeve borders, and perhaps as overlays to the gathered side gores, making it a bit reminiscent of this 1921 lovely:

NYPL 817486; search "women 1921" and you'll find a series of these
Edited to add: Here's a very rough mockup of what the dress could look like with a light blue center panel (ie, I flung it over my dress form).